Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Light me up!

I'm getting so excited for the class that I'm teaching this weekend at Asheville Bookworks. It's advertised as a Linoleum block class with hand coloring techniques but I have a surprise in store for my students. I've just finished the prototype for a lamp project that I've been thinking about for a while. Thanks to my sweet husband who has put countless hours into building these things, I have made this more than cool linocut covered shoji lamp. The paper is real Japanese shoji screen paper so it will never yellow. It was easy to print on and took the watercolor well, too. You can actually mist it with water when you're finished and it will shrink onto the wooden frame but I don't want to risk smearing my watercolor. The wood is repurposed cherry that came off our wall and was original to our house so it's about 75 years old. The light fixture and cord is courtesy of Home Depot.
Tomorrow I will clean up the week long mess that we have made trying to get these little gems ready but for now, I think I'll just turn off all the lights and bask in the glow of my little lamp.






No comments:

Post a Comment