Thursday, May 14, 2009

Family Day at the Smithsonian American Art Museum


We had a very successful printing activity at the Smithsonian American Art Museum on Saturday! Thanks to my helpers who were invaluable, we completed an entire 'community quilt' and began another one. Kids and adults alike made quilt prints with us and enjoyed the music, swing dancing, and other displays. I made my own stamps for the quilt patterns using cut out craft foam shapes which I had glued to foam board shapes. The ink was water based block printing ink and the paper was acid free colored paper, cut into squares. Some people tried my traditional 1930's quilt patterns but most designed their own patterns. We even had one small footprint and a few hand prints.

If you're looking for something fun to do on the weekend, check out this wonderful museum and the current display, 1934: A New Deal for Artists, which will close on January 3, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment