Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I felt something!

A while ago my friend Marianne and I discovered the world of felting. We figured out how to knit something and then wash it in boiling hot water to shrink it down and create masterpieces. We spent one cold winter cheerfully making eyeglass cases out of beautiful wool yarns. Marianne very patiently taught me how to knit. She was not the first one to teach me. Knitting is my nemesis. I can do just about any other type of art or craft there is but when it comes to knitting, well...I'm unbelievably clumsy.

Recently, though, I discovered a whole new world of felting, and, much to my delight, it doesn't require knitting! It only requires wool roving (which is unspun wool), a special barbed needle, and a block of foam. The constant stabbing of the wool roving with the needle tangles it up until it eventually becomes a sort of felt fabric. You can wind the roving around foam shapes and stab it and it will conform around the foam into a lovely felt shape. You can even make fish! And whales...

No comments:

Post a Comment