Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Day in the 'ville

I just got back from a week in Asheville, NC. Everything about that city inspires me. One day it was a trip to the farmer's market, which is the most amazing place to visit, especially in October. This time of year, there's so much color and texture, I didn't know where to look first. The pumpkins, peppers and squash created a riot of color. It was an artist's dream.
One evening, I went to a book signing for my favorite author in the whole world, Diana Gabaldon, who has just written a new book in her Outlander series, entitled An Echo in the Bone. She was fantastic - funny, witty, earthy and a bit bawdy, exactly what I'd hoped she would be like. The crowd in the theater was entranced by her, me included.

On Friday night, we went into town. The sounds of African style drumming echoed down the streets of Asheville because it turns out that every Friday night there's a drumming circle in Pritchard Park at 7 p.m. You don't even have to BYOD as there are extra bongos there for those who need them. There were dozens of drummers and many more spectators. Adults and children were dancing with abandon. It was liberating to watch.



I can't wait to go back and see what new discoveries and inspirations await me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment